Gardens and Buildings (continued)
Designed by F. B. Osborne it cost £368 and is still in use today, a bargain in anyone’s money!
Sunday Band concerts continue throughout the summer.
NEW TERRACE RANGE 1884
These houses replaced the original glass structure and now house our Arid and Mediterranean collections. The original Holly Bank farm Villa can be seen in the background of this photograph. Exhibition halls behind the visible glass have become our conferencing and entertainment facilities.
THE NETTLEFOLD ALPINE ROCK GARDEN 1895
Designed by the famous Backhouse & Sons of York this English heritage listed rock garden contains 250 tons of millstone grit. The Nettlefold family, local factory owners and screw manufacturers financed the project.
LOCAL PATRONS & BENEFACTORS
The gardens are leased from the Calthorpe Estate. It was instrumental in the establishment and remains a strong supporter of the Botanical Gardens. Many other local families have contributed to the Garden’s continued independence and mission, including the Chamberlains, Martineaus, Nettlefolds and Kendricks.
Development has continued throughout the 20th century including Tea Rooms, Lawn Aviary and new garden features including the Japanese Garden.