Gardens’ Explorer Family Backpacks
Available to hire from the Gardens’ Main Reception desk every day during opening hours, these are a series of fun family activity backpacks. Each backpack is bursting with creative activities and resources to help families to explore the Gardens and are suitable for all ages (younger ones will need adult help). There are four exciting and educational themes to choose from:
- Amazing Plants!
- Brilliant Birds!
- Bugs and Beasties!
- Tremendous Trees!
Backpacks contain; an activity sheet, an answer sheet for parents/guardians, clipboard, ID sheet and depending on the theme of your backpack, a magnifying glass, binoculars, tape measure, calculator, colouring pencils or bug pot. Hiring a backpack is easy and costs just £2 to hire (plus £8 refundable deposit), just ask at Reception when you arrive. Each activity backpack can take up to 90 minutes to complete and aims to help families get more out of their visit.
Also available are fun and educational children’s trails. The trails are suitable for all ages (younger children will need help reading the question sheet from an adult) and will help to make your visit to the Gardens extra special. There are many different trails to choose from including:
- Brilliant Butterflies – explore and investigate our summer butterfly house
- Dangerous Plants – not for the fainthearted!
- Fabulous Food – prepare to be amazed about some of our favourite foods
- Garden Minibeasts – come and see what you can discover
- Magical Plants – discover the real magical plants that inspired J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter
- Plant Record Breakers – what makes plants so special?
Each trail costs just £1.50 and they are available from the Gardens’ Main Reception desk every day during opening hours.
Come and see what you can discover!
Family Events at Birmingham Botanical Gardens
There are many different events that are run through the year aimed at families and more details can be found on our Events Pages.