We’re getting involved with the 2.6 Challenge to help raise funds for the Gardens during this difficult time – and we’d love your support!
What’s the 2.6 Challenge?
The 2.6 Challenge is a nationwide fundraising campaign to Save the UK’s Charities, taking place April 26-30.
You’ll know that all charities are struggling across the UK – and because we are unable to open to the public or stage any of our usual popular events, we’re losing vital revenue that enables us to maintain our beautiful, nationally important collections and to survive.
The Gardens has a skeleton staff working as hard as ever to ensure the Gardens are in peak condition, ready for when we are safe to open. We understand how vital having access to green spaces is: it enhances physical and mental health, and is a superb stress-reliever, while gardening and connecting with nature also improve wellbeing.
It’s why we need your support more than ever.
The idea of the challenge is simple: just carry out activities based on the numbers 2.6 and 26 and send your donations or fundraising proceeds to the Gardens.
It’s up to you what you want to do (it doesn’t have to be related to gardening, if you haven’t got an outdoor space), but you could:
- Spend 26 minutes gardening
- Remove 26 weeds from your borders or windowboxes
- Make a delicious plant-based cake (or 26 fairy cakes!) – you could try carrot, courgette or even beetroot
- Pot on 26 plants (you could leave a few on your neighbours’ doorsteps as lockdown gifts)
- Plant 26 seeds (most supermarkets sell flower or veg seeds)
- Run 2.6 km or miles on your balcony or in your garden
- Spend 26 minutes drawing or painting your favourite flower
- Photograph 26 plants / leaves on your daily walk.
- Find 26 items made from plants around your house
- Write a plant general knowledge quiz with 26 questions
Whatever you decide to do – either on your own or with your family – we’d love to see how you’ve risen to the challenge.
Be sure to share your photos on social media and tag Birmingham Botanical Gardens so we can see what you’ve been up to!
What do we need to do, we hear you say?
2. Simply donate or set up your own fundraising page supporting the Gardens here.
3. Ask your friends and family to sponsor you or challenge them to do their own 2.6 Challenge.
4. Complete your challenge and share your photos on social media with #twopointsixchallenge and tag Birmingham Botanical Gardens.
With your help, we can continue our work to keep our Gardens open for everyone in the region and beyond.
We can’t wait to see what you get up to. Thank you for your support.