|Role Title||Maintenance Assistant|
|Reports to||Maintenance Manager|
Birmingham Botanical Gardens is an independent educational charity aiming to offer world class environmental education in a green environment to audiences in all sectors of the community.
As a Maintenance Assistant, you will play a vital role in maintaining and supporting the future of our Gardens, which are a much-loved part of Birmingham’s landscape and heritage. We are looking for a positive, driven candidate with a range of skills who can help deliver the core ethos of our charity.
- Day to day maintenance including but not limited to maintaining repairs to the gardens and nurseries, building, waste management, water supplies, drains, lighting, defects and repairs, building work, and decoration
- Work closely with the onsite horticultural teams to keep the gardens at its high standard
- To work with initiative responding to any maintenance queries as quickly as possible
- To be responsible for the upkeep and cleanliness of areas
- Carry out work completely, effectively and in a safe manner
- Responding to emergency callouts
- Ensuring all machinery runs smoothly to ensure an efficient operation
- Work with external contractors for major repairs or specialised maintenance
- Work in line with set KPIs
- Assisting in upholding the company’s health and safety, emergency, and fire policies and procedures
- Ensure the working environment is organised, safe and to expected standards at all times.
- Must be able to travel with a located area within Birmingham;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Full driving licence; preferably manual
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations;
- Can lift 25kg
- Must pass background check;
- Previous Maintenance background (e.g. building, plumbing, electric or carpentry);
- Computer literate (Microsoft software and specific to electrical drawings);
Working under the direction and/or supervision of Maintenance Manager
Outdoor gardens involving lifting, weekends, late evenings/early days.
|Knowledge||– Strong time management and ability to complete maintenance works to high standard.
– Ability to communicate to both senior management and site staff.
– A focus on safety in everything you do.
– Previous experience in repairs and building knowledge
– Reliable and trustworthy
– Multitasking abilities
|– A strong background in repairs and building knowledge
– Ability to work under pressure and strict time constraints
– Great decision making skills
|Experience||-Previous experience in a
maintenance/repairs type role maintenance and compliance. – Experience working with Health and Safety regulations
– Able to work at height
|– Experience working on a
|Qualifications||– Valid UK driving licence.
– Computer literate
|Skills||-A motivated individual who works collaboratively with a high level of enthusiasm.
– Proactive attitude
– Flexible and able to work on own initiative.
– Able to work as part of a team and interact effectively with external contacts.
|Other||-Willing and able to work as a full member of the Gardens team, assisting with other activities, sometimes working overtime and in the evenings.
– Active commitment to Equal Opportunities and diversity.
40 hours a week – 20k per annum
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your CV and covering letter to operations@