Birmingham Botanical Gardens (BBG) are keen to see applications from people of all backgrounds and communities and are committed to representing the city’s diverse nature. The Gardens look forward to receiving applications from all suitable candidates and will conduct inclusive recruitment processes based on attitude, experience, and qualifications. BBG are also committed to ensuring that no one invited to the interview should be excluded due to financial circumstances and will reimburse anyone attending the interview (related costs must be supported by receipts) if required.
Purpose of Role
Responsible for developing, implementing and managing all aspects of the Marketing and Communications strategy, including planning and managing targeted marketing, communications and pricing activity both on- and offline.
Developing our website, branding, digital marketing, media plans, press and corporate communications through copywriting and content management, marketing research, production of collateral, CRM data and its usage, performance analysis and evaluation, and working with external agencies and tourism bodies and travel trade.
Reports to: Head of Operations
Direct Reports: currently none. The Gardens anticipate this department growing over time.
Hours 39 hours per week
Salary £30k per annum
- To be a member of BBG’s Management Team – contributing to reputation management and revenue recovery
- To create and align BBG’s marketing and communications strategy against the Charity’s Objects and Activity Plans (including Heritage Lottery Fund and Arts Council England Strategies as appropriate) – to promote the profile of the attraction to the widest possible audience
- To eventually recruit and develop a high-performing in-house Marketing & Communications team that consistently delivers against challenging objectives
- To act as an advocate for, and representative of, BBG – networking with other organisations and agencies across gardens, arts, heritage, tourism and visitor attraction and other sectors as appropriate (e.g. education, health care)
- To be an ambassador of BBG’s values, displaying positive role model behaviour in all situations
- To drive inclusive and continuously improving marketing and communications impacts across key markets, including:
- Local Residents
- Day Visitors
- Regional Visitors
- Domestic Tourists
- International Visitors
- Travel Trade
- To work in close collaboration with partners and funders – particularly ensuring that:
- Project outcomes are communicated
- Testimonial stories are told
- Average visitor rates, visit time and spend are measured
- Devise and develop the overall marketing and communications strategy for BBG
- Develop and manage the overall marketing campaign schedule across BBG
- Develop and manage marketing budgets to find efficiencies and maximise return on investment
- Be part of the rebranding team, advising internal/external colleagues and partners on BBG Brand Guidelines and rolling out new branding across all BBG marcomms
- Input into the annual budget setting process and ensure that costs are spent within allocated spending levels and in relation to the annual budget and monthly review of actual expenditure and current year forecasts, risks and opportunities
- Develop and manage marketing campaigns, incorporating all elements of the marketing mix
- Ensure all marketing collateral is on brand and that key corporate messages are integrated into marketing activity
- To manage all external marcomms agency workstreams
- Lead on the development of promotions to support increased revenue
- Work with internal colleagues/departments across BBG, including the events department and caterer, to ensure our marketing campaigns are effective
- Input into policies and procedures representing the Marketing & Communications department
- To lead on the development and dissemination of insight across the organisation, including customer segmentation, brand, events, market insight, visitor research and channel performance. Provide clear evaluation frameworks for each area of responsibility.
- Growing and maximising the use of Spektrix CRM and leading on GDPR best practices,
- Develop income generation through working with the travel trade and third parties where appropriate, attending trade shows and sales generation events
- Work collaboratively with volunteers, work experience, placement participants and other members of staff; working together as a team to achieve BBG’s vision
- Commitment to training and improvement
- Other appropriate duties in agreement with line manager
- Visitor numbers and mix
- Quantity and level of engagements through all channels including digital
- Admissions, Retail and Learning sales
- Generating usable data on satisfaction and revenue
- Return on effort and investment of initiatives
- Delivery of advance sales targets
- Be aware of all BBG policies and procedures and ensure that these are adhered to by themselves and their team
- Educated to degree level and/or with relevant professional qualifications or demonstrable relevant experience preferred (e.g. Member of CIM)
- Understanding the not-for-profit sector, preferably showcasing knowledge and interest in the broader botanic, heritage and cultural sectors.
- An interest in horticulture.
- Previous management experience working in a marketing/communications environment.
- Significant experience in delivering high-profile, successful marketing campaigns.
- Optimising visitor numbers and revenue in a heritage/cultural visitor attraction or similar environment.
- Experience in managing external agencies.
- Demonstrable experience in cross-departmental working and being part of a small team.
- Budgeting and cost management experience.
- Previous experience using Dot Digital or equivalent email services and campaign management platforms.
- Able to combine effective strategic thinking with hands-on organisational and administrative capability
- Commercially astute, target orientated and financially literate with good attention to detail
- Able to confidently use a CMS to make necessary website amends
- Strong skills in planning and generating online content across relevant social media platforms and tracking impact
- Ability to lead PR work liaising with local, regional, and national media
- Ability to write copy that is instantly engaging and creative project briefs (e.g. photography/design etc.)
- A creative, lateral thinker and energetic team player with a high level of enthusiasm
- Ability to develop policies and strategies for the department and to manage, monitor and evaluate their implementation
- Target orientated with strong sales skills.
- Good self-manager – natural forward planner who critically assesses their performance
- An effective (or aspiring) leader with a record of being part of a motivated team
- A good ambassador with professional credibility, able to lead, network and influence at a senior level, both within and outside BBG
- Enthusiasm for BBG’s aims and its independence and an interest in all areas of the Trust’s work
- A broad understanding of gardening, heritage and conservation issues, public engagement and customer-facing activities
- Ability to represent an organisation clearly and compellingly to different audiences
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and support a working environment which attracts and retains talent
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your CV and covering letter to operations@