Gardens’ Explorer Family Backpacks
Available to hire from the main reception desk, these fun family activity backpacks are bursting with creative activities and resources to help families to explore the Gardens and are suitable for all ages (younger ones will need adult help). There are four exciting and educational themes to choose from:
- Amazing Plants!
- Brilliant Birds!
- Bugs and Beasties!
- Tremendous Trees!
Backpacks contain: an activity sheet, an answer sheet for parents/guardians, clipboard, ID sheet and depending on the theme of your backpack, a magnifying glass, binoculars, tape measure, calculator, colouring pencils or bug pot.
Each activity backpack can take up to 90 minutes to complete and aims to help families get more out of their visit.
Hiring a backpack costs just £2 (plus £8 refundable deposit).
The fun and educational trails are suitable for all ages (younger children will need help) and help to make your visit to the Gardens extra special. There are many different trails to choose from, including:
- Brilliant Butterflies – explore and investigate our summer butterfly house.
- Dangerous Plants – not for the fainthearted!
- Fabulous Food – prepare to be amazed about some of our favourite foods.
- Garden Minibeasts – come and see what you can discover.
- Magical Plants – discover the real magical plants that inspired J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter.
- Plant Record Breakers – what makes plants so special?
Each trail costs just £1.50 and they are available from the main reception desk during opening hours.
Come and see what you can discover!
We have two orienteering trails, which use a map of the Gardens to locate the numbered posts. Each trail costs just £1 and can take up to 90 minutes to complete. Orienteering is suitable for all ages (though younger children will need help).
We host many events throughout the year that are ideal for families. Find out more on our Events Pages.