Birmingham Botanical Gardens is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Human Resources Manager to support the management, staff and volunteer team.
The Gardens are in a period of change and have recently secured a Round 1 National Lottery Heritage Fund grant towards a £13m capital project. The project aims to restore the historic glasshouses, upgrade site infrastructure and displays and improve the visitor experience for all.
Birmingham Botanical Gardens (BBG) are keen to see applications from people of all backgrounds and communities and are committed to representing the diverse nature of the city. The Gardens look forward to receiving applications from all suitable candidates and will conduct inclusive recruitment processes based on attitude, experience, and qualifications. BBG are also committed to ensuring that no-one invited to interview should be excluded due to financial circumstances and will reimburse anyone attending interview (related costs must be supported by receipts) if required.
About the Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Birmingham Botanical Gardens Opened in 1832, Birmingham Botanical Gardens (registered charity number 528981) is one of just two independent charitable botanical gardens in the UK.
Spread across 15 acres, just one mile from Birmingham City Centre, BBG consists of over 7,000 formally documented plants, making it the largest and most diverse botanic collection in central England.
BBG’s heritage is woven into Birmingham’s history – once the most important manufacturing town in the world – and the site welcomes over 180,000 visitors each year.
As well as the gardens, which are a green sanctuary within the city, the charity also provides a unique educational resource for learning about plants, conservation, and the environment. We welcome visits from nurseries, schools, and colleges, as well as organised groups, and run adult courses and workshops in photography, nature, wildlife, heritage, and culture.
As an independent charity, we rely on the support of visitors, supporters, donors, and grants, as well as generating income from our trading arm, hosting weddings and special events. This support ensures that we can deliver our key charitable objectives, maintaining our Victorian glasshouses and our 15-acres of wonderful gardens, and developing educational projects for the Birmingham community.
A diverse botanical world that enhances all our lives: our mission is to support plant biodiversity and an understanding of its importance to the natural environment through conservation, education, engagement, and enjoyment.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the purpose of the role is to develop and deliver HR and people management solutions which support the Company’s overall goals and ambitious plans.
Supported by our external HR partner, you will be required to provide systematic, expert professional advice and support to managers and staff on all aspects of HR which fully reflects our values, culture, current employment legislation and best practice.
- In consultation with the Chief Executive, and management team, implement the HR plan to support the overall strategic aims and objectives of the organisation, support- ing strategic HR projects, as and when required.
- Develop, implement and maintain HR policies and procedures to ensure effective, fair and consistent management of staff throughout the organisation.
- Support the Chief Executive in ensuring the correct level staff resources – in terms of number and skillset – to deliver the strategic objectives of each team and those of the organisation as a whole.
- Oversee the recruitment, selection and onboarding of new starters.
- Develop and implement systems which ensure that skills remain current and relevant to business needs, in order to maintain excellent standards of performance and to stimulate personal and professional development.
- Create and maintain ongoing training plans for new starters and appraisals for all team members to ensure ongoing CPD and maintenance of relevant skill sets.
- Develop and maintain systems and practices to create a working environment that actively promotes employee wellbeing and fosters a conducive working environment.
- Manage the information held on the HR database and personnel files to ensure it is updated in a timely and accurate manner and complies with all legal or data protec- tion requirements.
- Report on HR KPIs and metrics to the Chief Executive & Senior Management Team.
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
Currently this post has no line management responsibility.
Working under the direction and/or supervision of the Chief Executive This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities:
- Lone Working (infrequent)
- Travel on company business (infrequent)
Contract Type: Part time (2 x days) permanent
Salary: £12,000 pro rata. FTE salary £30,000
To apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.
Closing date: 6th June 2023